- Create a Policy and Enroll your Devices
Create a Policy and Enroll your Devices #
In this article, we will cover the basics of creating a Policy and enrolling a device.
Step #1 – Create Policy Components and a Policy #
Policy Components #
Mambo’s Android Enterprise Device Policies are comprised of six Policy Components. They are:
- General Component
- Network Component
- Security Component
- Applications Component
- Kiosk Component
- Advanced Component
Each Device Policy must include all six of these Components. Customers can opt to use a Default Component already created in their account or create their own Components, allowing them to customize the individual Component settings. For a detailed guide on the Policy Components, including settings definitions, please view this article.
Create a New Component #
- Once logged in to your Mambo account, navigate to Management > Policy Components > and select “Add Component” from the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Name your Component and select which Component you would like to create.
- Now find the newly created Component in the list of Components, select “More” to the right of the Component, and choose “Configure” from the drop-down menu.
- Configure the Component’s settings.
- Click “Update” when you are finished.
Repeat this same process until you have configured all six Components.
Edit an Existing Component #
- To edit or make a change to a Component, navigate to Management > Policy Components > select the “More” drop-down next to the Component you would like to edit and select “Configure.”
- In the pop-up window, make changes to the Component Settings.
- Once you are finished, hit “Update.” to save.
Note: all devices in your network which have this Policy Component associated with it will receive these changes.
The Policy is what contains all the settings configuration for your devices. These Policies are comprised of the six Policy Components covered previously. Android Enterprise leverages these Policies to enforce restrictions, install applications, control device-level settings and app-level settings, and more. In order to enroll a device to Mambo, a Policy is required.
Create a New Policy #
- Once logged in to your Mambo account, navigate to Management > Policies > and select “Add Policy” from the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- In the pop-up, name your Policy.
- Your Policy will be created, but it will have all of the Default Policy Components associated with it. To change that, select the “More” drop-down and select “Components.”
- In the next pop-up, you will see six tabs corresponding to the six Policy Components.
- Select each tab, then select “Change Component” near the top.
- Select your newly created Policy Component from the available options.
- Finally, click “Confirm Change” to save your Policy.
Step #2 – Enroll a Device #
With your Policy Components configured and your Policy created, you are now ready to enroll your first device.
Enrollment Tokens #
Create a New Enrollment Token #
- Within your Mambo account, navigate to Management > Enrollment Tokens > then click “Create Enrollment Token.”
- Configure the following Enrollment Token setting:
- Name the Enrollment Token
- Specify the expiration of the Enrollment Token.
Note: The Enrollment Token can be configured to be valid for up to 90 days.
- Select the Policy that you’d like to use.
- Select your country.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you’d like to use to enroll the devices.
Note: you can create one if you haven’t already.
- Select whether to preserve system apps.
Note: this will leave all installed apps from the factory intact, even apps commonly referred to as “bloatware.”
- Select whether to allow for personal use.
VERY IMPORTANT: if this option is toggled, you will enable the device to be used for both work and personal use. Users of the device will be able to install third-party applications and may be able to do things that you cannot control. Only toggle this option if you are certain that you want to allow the device to be used for personal use. For dedicated or single-use devices, this setting should not be toggled.
- Select whether the Enrollment Token is intended to be used only once.
- Select whether the device can enroll and register over cellular data.
- Click “Add” once you are finished.
Enrollment Token Details or QR Code #
- Find your newly created Enrollment Token from the list. You will see details such as the expiration date and the Enrollment URL.
- To view the QR Code and or Android Zero-Touch Enrollment (ZTE) Data, click “Show Details” on the right-hand side of the screen.
Enroll Your Device(s) #
Now that everything is created and configured, you are finally ready to enroll your first device.
- Turn on your device.
Note: if your device has been set up previously, you will need to factory reset it.
- On the first screen (the Android Welcome screen), tap the screen six times to launch the QR reader.
Note: taps need to be done in quick succession in order to activate.
- Use the QR reader on the device to scan the Enrollment Token QR code created in the last step.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the device enrollment.
The device will enroll into your Mambo Android Enterprise account, install all applications included in the Policy, configure all settings included in the Policy, etc. You will know that it has been successfully completed once the device shows the Android home screen (or locks into Kiosk Mode, if configured to do so).
If you followed these steps correctly, you should now see your newly registered device in your Mambo account under Management > Devices.
If you have any questions or need any assistance, please email Mambo support at firstname.lastname@example.org.